Self-Management in Cancer Toolkit
This toolkit is a companion to Self-Management in Cancer: Quality Standards. It is meant to compound your knowledge of self-management and other related concepts. It is not an exhaustive list, but is a good place to start your research and familiarize yourself with available resources.
Articles & Guidelines
- A Practical Guide to Self-Management Support
- A vision for a health literate Canada: Report of the Expert Panel on Health Literacy
- Considerations for a new definition of health literacy
- Evidence Suggesting That a Chronic Disease Self-Management Program Can Improve Health Status While Reducing Hospitalization: A Randomized Trial (PDF)
- Health literacy: A prescription to end confusion
- Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit
- Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change (PDF)
- Self-management education for patients with cancer: Evidence summary
- Self-Management: Enabling and empowering patients living with cancer as a chronic illness
- Supporting self-management: summarising evidence from systematic reviews (PDF)
- Strategies to support self-management in chronic conditions: Collaboration with clients (PDF)
- Ten Attributes of Health Literate Health Care Organizations: discussion paper (PDF)
- Why Does Patient Activation Matter? An Examination of the Relationships Between Patient Activation and Health-Related Outcomes
Programs & Courses
Patient Programs & Courses
- Online Chronic Disease Self-Management Program - Free courses for people across Ontario living with chronic conditions such as diabetes, chronic pain, high blood pressure, stroke, cancer, heart or kidney conditions.
- In-Person Regional Chronic Disease Self-Management Programs – Free courses offered within the 14 Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs).
Healthcare Provider Programs & Courses
- Self-Management British Columbia – A list of strategies and techniques for healthcare providers.
- Self-Management in Cancer Care – An interactive online course by the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.
- Generalized self-efficacy scale (PDF)
- Patient Activation Measure – Licensed product
- Patient Health Engagement Scale
- The Rapid Assessment of Adult Literacy in Medicine – Short Form (PDF)
- The Single Item Literacy Screen – Article
If you have questions or comments about this toolkit, contact the Patient Education Program.