About Cancer Care Ontario
Cancer Care Ontario is the Ontario government’s principal cancer advisor and a division of CCO. We equip health professionals, organizations and policy-makers with the most up-to-date cancer knowledge and tools to prevent cancer and deliver high-quality patient care.
- Collect and analyze data about cancer services and combine it with evidence and research that is shared with the healthcare community in the form of guidelines and standards.
- Monitor and measure the performance of the cancer system.
- Oversee a funding and governance model that ties funding to performance, making healthcare providers more accountable and ensuring value for investments in the system.
- Engage cancer patients and their families in the design, delivery and evaluation of Ontario’s cancer system.
These 4 factors are instrumental for delivering measureable improvements to the cancer system:
- Accountability – We established a chain of accountability from the provincial level to the local level.
- Data – We collect solid data, which allows us to:
- measure and identify problems across the province
- determine process and treatment effectiveness
- create benchmarks
- Planning – We develop multi-year cancer plans to:
- give focus and direction to our priorities
- outline how healthcare providers, organizations, cancer experts and the government will work together
- Performance – We apply CCO’s performance improvement model to:
- generate evidence-based guidelines
- conduct research
- inform policy analysis and planning