COVID-19 and Cancer Care: Your Safety Matters
It is normal to have concerns about your cancer diagnosis and coming to the hospital for treatments during COVID-19. As a person with cancer, you may feel more nervous because of a weakened immune system or anxiety about your cancer treatment.
Keeping you safe and providing high-quality care during COVID-19 are the top priorities of your healthcare team.
Go to your tests and treatments as scheduled
Do not delay getting your cancer treatment or other care because of COVID-19 fears. If your healthcare team has told you that you need to get tests or treatments, go to your appointments as scheduled. Delaying treatment can be dangerous if your cancer care team has told you to get it now.
Please call your clinic or healthcare provider before coming to your appointment if:
- you feel unwell with symptoms that could be from COVID-19 (for example: chills, fever or new cough)
- you are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test
- you have been in close contact with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19 or someone who has recently travelled outside the country
Safety measures at the hospital
Your hospital has made changes to keep you safe during your appointments. The safety measures in hospitals across Ontario include:
- arranging space for as much physical distancing (keeping people apart) as possible
- COVID-19 screening for staff and patients before entering the hospital
- ensuring patients and staff are wearing masks
- placing hand washing stations, education materials and signs throughout the hospital
- limiting the number of visitors at the hospital
What to do if you need support
If you feel worried about coming to the hospital for your cancer care, contact your healthcare team to talk about your concerns. It is important that your fears about COVID-19 do not stop you from coming to your appointment or for your treatment. In some cases, you may be able to do your appointment over the phone.
If you need physical help once you arrive at the hospital for your appointment, please let staff know.
Your healthcare team is here for you.
For more information
For more information on COVID-19 visit:
For more information or to speak with someone about cancer:
The Canadian Cancer Society’s Cancer Information Service
- Visit cancer.ca/cis
- Or call 1-888-939-3333
For more information or to speak with someone about your emotional well-being or mental health:
Bounceback Ontario (for help with managing low mood, mild to moderate depression, anxiety, stress or worry)
- Visit bouncebackontario.ca or call 1-866-345-0224
ConnexOntario (Mental Health and Addictions Crisis Helpline)
- Visit connexontario.ca or call 1-866-531-2600