ColonCancerCheck: Colorectal Screening Program
The fecal immunochemical test (FIT) is a screening test for people at average risk of getting colorectal cancer. FIT is now used instead of the guaiac fecal occult blood test (gFOBT), which used to be Ontario’s colorectal cancer screening test. As of December 24, 2019, labs in Ontario will no longer test ColonCancerCheck gFOBT kits.
For more information about FIT, see the Screening for Colorectal Cancer page.
ColonCancerCheck is Ontario’s population-based, province-wide, organized screening program designed to increase screening participation and reduce deaths from colorectal cancer.
Organized screening programs, such as ColonCancerCheck, provide important quality benefits by:
- inviting people to participate in screening
- reminding participants when it is time for their next screening test
- notifying participants of their screening results
- tracking participants throughout the screening process
- evaluating program quality and performance