Focal Tumour Ablation
Cancer Care Ontario is leading the creation of guidance for healthcare administrators and providers on how to organize and deliver focal ablation services for cancer care in Ontario. Recommendations created by the Focal Tumour Ablation Advisory Committee focus on access, quality and funding. The committee, made up of patients, clinicians and administrators, followed these principles to create the recommendations:
- Provide appropriate access to high quality cancer treatment services
- Optimize care and resource use across the province
The scope of these recommendations includes:
- Thermal ablation (includes radiofrequency ablation, microwave ablation and cryoablation) for lung, liver and renal tumours
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for liver tumours
- Transarterial radioembolization with Yttrium-90 (Y90) for liver tumours
Other emerging technologies technologies and cancer types will be considered in the future.
For more information, email the Cancer Imaging Program.