Pan-Canadian Oncology Biosimilars Initiative
The pan-Canadian oncology biosimilars initiative aims to ensure that the implementation and use of therapeutic oncology biosimilars are appropriate and cost-effective across Canada. It is a joint initiative supported by the pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance and managed by Cancer Care Ontario on behalf of all provincial cancer agencies. This initiative is part of the pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance's biosimilars strategy.
Why We Need an Oncology Biosimilars Initiative
Compared with other countries, Canada is significantly behind in the use of biosimilars. Having a cancer-specific strategy will help guide people towards accepting the use of biosimilars for cancer treatment, and will make sure we take into account the different settings in which they are used.
Our Work so Far
- Hosted the Pan-Canadian Oncology Biosimilars Summit in November 2018 (read more below, or download Proceedings in sidebar)
- Developed an action plan to provide a high-level map for implementing biosimilars for cancer treatment across the country (see sidebar)
- Assembled a team to develop a more detailed implementation strategy
Our Ongoing Work
- Consult with clinicians, patients, patient advocacy organizations, cancer agencies, ministries and pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Support planning, communication and implementation work for all provincial cancer agencies