The Role of Bisphosphonates in the Management of Skeletal Complications for Patients with Multiple Myelomaenglish
ID: 6-4 Oct 2012
Type of Content: Guidelines & Advice, Clinical
Document Status: Education and Information
Adult patients with active plasma cell myeloma (symptomatic stage 1 or greater).
For patients with active multiple myeloma, is there evidence that the use of bisphosphonates:
- Improves survival?
- Improves quality of life?
- Reduces bone pain?
- Reduces or delays the development of skeletal complications?
- For patients with multiple myeloma who receive treatment with a bisphosphonate:
- What is the association of bisphosphonates with osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ)?
- How can this complication be prevented and managed?
Summary (PDF) (229.04 KB)
Full Report (PDF) (672.11 KB)