Cancer Screening During COVID-19: Message for Healthcare Providers
Cancer Screening Tests Resuming
Ontario Health (Cancer Care Ontario) recommends gradually resuming routine breast and cervical screening. Primary care providers can also begin sending new fecal immunochemical test (FIT) requisitions to LifeLabs for all eligible people at average risk for colorectal cancer.
Ongoing fluctuations in COVID-19 cases and local variation in COVID-19 trends are expected. Primary care providers are encouraged to consider local trends in COVID-19 transmission and local capacity for diagnostic services (e.g., colonoscopy) prior to initiating colorectal cancer screening.
Primary care providers should remember the following when sending in requisitions:
- Include a valid OHIP number with an updated version code.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of your patient’s mailing address information (including an alternative mailing address for the FIT kit, if applicable).
- LifeLabs will continue to process all FIT requisitions received as fast as possible. If you have recently sent a FIT requisition for your patient, please do not send a repeat order unless at least 4 to 6 weeks have passed and your patient has not already received a FIT kit, as there remains the potential for mailing delays resulting from COVID-19. Sending a duplicate requisition could cause further delays.
- Call Ontario Health (Cancer Care Ontario) toll-free at 1-866-662-9233
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Send us an email at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Cancer Screening Tip Sheets
These tip sheets supplement provincial guidance released by Ontario Health and the Government of Ontario. They are not intended to replace or supersede provincial guidance, government directives or public health measures.
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Services
Find a framework to support for Ontario facilities offering gastrointestinal endoscopy during COVID-19.
Find a framework to support facilities in making decisions about increasing colposcopy services during COVID-19.
Breast Screening and Assessment
Find for a framework for breast screening and assessment within the Ontario Breast Screening Program and High Risk Ontario Breast Screening Program.
Find a framework for facilities providing low-dose computed tomography in the Ontario Lung Screening Program.
Breast, Colorectal and Cervical Screening
Find cancer screening guidance to support primary care providers during COVID-19.