Unfunded Intravenous (IV) Cancer Drugs
A difficult issue is what to do when patients seek out very expensive cancer drugs which have not been approved for funding. Cancer Care Ontario is working with different levels of government to strengthen publicly funded programs for cancer drugs, and to also look at the level of medical benefit, appropriateness and cost-effectiveness of different drugs.
Provincial Working Group Recommendations
The Provincial Working Group on the Delivery of Oncology Medications for Private Payment in Ontario Hospitals have developed recommendations for the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) for the provision of unfunded IV cancer drugs.
These documents are available as guidance to hospitals. They do not represent ministry or Cancer Care Ontario policy:
- Provincial Working Group news release
- Provincial Working Group Report on the Provision of Unfunded IV Cancer Drugs
- Questions and Answers
- Ontario Public Drug Programs
- How drugs are approved – Health Care Professionals
- Health Canada’s Special Access Program
- Prescription Drug Coverage in Canada
- Provis Infusion Clinic