Diagnostic Assessment Program
The Diagnostic Assessment Program aims to improve the diagnostic phase for all individuals undergoing a potential cancer diagnosis. The program works with partners across Ontario to develop and support regional Diagnostic Assessment Programs for lung, colorectal and prostate cancers.
- Improve the quality and accessibility of diagnostic care for patients
- Advance a person-centred approach in diagnostic care
- Drive integrated-care delivery among services and providers
- Maximize value of care delivered
- Support ongoing operations of the diagnostic assessment programs, including regular monitoring and reporting of program performance
- Deliver on the strategic plan Navigating the Diagnostic Phase of care: Ontario’s Strategic Directions 2014–2018
- Facilitate opportunities for regions across the province to share and further develop best practices in diagnostic assessment
- Refine and align the scope of diagnostic assessment programs
- Develop and implement a measurement framework for the diagnostic phase to evaluate provincial performance
- Assess current approaches to cancer diagnosis and identify opportunities to improve quality of care
Regional Diagnostic Assessment Programs
Regional Diagnostic Assessment Programs (DAPs) manage and coordinate care that spans from referral due to cancer suspicion to diagnosis. Diagnosis includes staging work-up, development of a treatment plan and next steps for patients with a positive cancer diagnosis.
Once referred into a Diagnostic Assessment Program, patients have access to a multidisciplinary care team. This includes a patient navigator, who is the patient's main contact and supports the patient throughout the diagnostic process.
The programs also provide:
- a single point of access for all diagnostic services
- diagnostic assessment according to evidence-based clinical pathway maps
- streamlined scheduling and coordination of diagnostic tests and consultations
- relevant and timely information, and educational material to support patients throughout the process
- improved care transition and communication between healthcare providers
If you have any questions or comments, email the Diagnostic Assessment Program.